Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Straying into the Real World

I am in the process of searching for a summer internship (in the hopes of being somewhat employable when I eventually graduate from college...). It's been a rather unorthodox search, I think - I emailed about a dozen Vancouver publishers to ask whether they were in the market for a summer intern. Four answers so far: two thanks-but-no-thanks, one with marginally more information (which amounts to "our interns are Masters students. Who do you, a pitiful college junior, think you are?"), one "hmm, that might work." Tonight I sat down to reply to the "hmm, that might work" company.

I hope applying for a job in the real world isn't this nerve-wracking. Oh, don't burst my bubble, please; I am enjoying thinking that a post-college job will materialize out of thin air with minimal effort and less stress.

...

Well, not really. I can usually delude myself into believing whatever I find necessary to believe, but sadly I am not quite that delusional.

At any rate, the email is sent and now I just have to worry about the publisher deciding that he doesn't want an intern after all. Oh, and I should probably put together a C.V. (a terrifying thought indeed), which means finding the Centre for Work and Service, which is... umm.... somewhere on campus. I hope.

Plan for tomorrow: get lost. Hopefully get un-lost in time to get help on my (thus far nonexistent) C.V.

No comments: