Friday, August 8, 2008

Day 69: Picking One's Battles

Hmm.

Boing?

We spent about an age and a half today trying to decide what the house style was for italics - specifically, for italics in dialogue in foreign languages. Ordinarily house style would be "check the Chicago Manual of Style", but we did, and it didn't help. We sort of decided on something, and then an editor came in and disagreed with us, and we debated things some more, and finally we decided upon something that made sense.

People were in and out of the office... I started a list thing for one of our distributors... I talked with the editor about a couple of projects (fun. I think I misjudged her initially. Or possibly we were just both being awkward before). My boss and I spent a long time the other day fixing some foreign-language dialogue, but now the author doesn't like it, so he had to change it again. Why? I don't know. I mean, nobody's going to be able to read it anyway... well, not most of the population. Luckily my boss came up with something he likes better anyway.

Brian came by and we got some work done. I really didn't like the bit we were working on today, for various reasons - but it wasn't my place to say, so I just kept typing. Picking your battles and all of that...

Tomorrow I am going to do the whole souvenir-shopping thing - the Night Market or Gastown or something.

No comments: