Sunday, June 15, 2008

Vancouver, day 15

Let's see.

No Jehovah's Witnesses today. I went to church in the AM (though the JWs would possibly be more concerned for my soul if they knew that I was UU (and knew was UUism is...))... apparantly it's Father's Day, something that my family does not celebrate, so the whole service was about fathers and manhood in general. I couldn't help but be reminded of the book Self-Made Man, written by a woman named Norah Vincent, who went undercover as a man for a year or so.

Parts of the service were a lot of fun and really interesting, though; the music was done by a band from the North Shore UU church (where is the North Shore church? Actually, where is the North Shore? Note to self: find out). The band was not only good, they were clearly enjoying playing for the congregation. The sermon (is that the right word? I don't know if UUs really do sermons... talks, maybe, or discussions, or... eh, whatever) was broken up into three parts, one of which was notably good (the one, incidentally, done by one of the band members and one of his sons) and the others of which were decent.

The only unfortunate thing about this church, which I really do like quite a bit, is that I have yet to see anybody my own age. Plenty of young-marrieds (with children), and people well past retirement age, and small children, but that's about it. Is there some secret twenties room that I haven't been let in on yet? A young-ish man did talk to me today, but - well. Umm. Call me shallow, but he was wearing crocs with long socks pulled all the way up, khaki shorts, and a plaid (short-sleeved, button-up) shirt. Also black glasses. Think.... you know that guy in Dirty Dancing? The one who's supposed to be going to school for hotel management, who keeps trying to drag Baby around? This guy looked a bit like him, only dorkier.

Anyway. I looked it up, and the North Shore church is in North Vancouver (should've guessed), which means waaaaaay far away.

This afternoon I did some controlled wandering and found Death by Chocolate, which was a bit of a disappointment. Oh, quite tasty and very good service, but I'm pretty sure it's a bar that masquerades as a coffeeshop during daylight hours.

I ended up back at Queen Elizabeth Park because it was sunny (first day in Vancouver that I haven't worn a jacket) and because, well, I happened to look up from my book when the bus was nearing 33rd Ave, and somehow my thumb pushed the "next stop" button, and then... yeah. So now I have a sunburned nose and a sunburned arm, but life is good.

No comments: