Monday, June 16, 2008

Vancouver, day 16

My boss decided to go through the slush pile today. Goodness, but unsolicited material is bad. Of about fifteen manuscripts, there was one that he liked well enough to tell the author that she wrote well - the manuscript isn't for this company in its present form, but it might do in another form, if she wanted to rewrite and write more and resubmit....

Yeah. That was definitely informative. (did that sound sarcastic? Because it wasn't supposed to.)

After work I found a real, bona-fide beach - I don't know whether or not it was Kitsilano Beach, but it suited my purposes just fine: there was sun, and there was water, and there were logs to sit on, and there were two cute guys (film students?) shooting a scene from what promised to be a very tacky, very low-budget film. The Vancouver Maritime Museum was nearby, and I had a brief look, but if I'm going to spend ten dollars on a museum it will not be a museum chock-full of boats.

I did some controlled wandering after that - well, it wasn't really wandering because I had a destination - grocery store, then home - but the rule for a controlled wander is that, although I have a pretty specific idea of where I'm going (in this case, the bus stop at Broadway and Oak), I can stop and explore more whenever something strikes my fancy. Consequently it took me longer than it might have to get to the bus, but I had a good time.

I grocery shopped - fake meat! - and came home. I'd be in the shower right now, except that my towel and one of my sheets and half of my clothing are all in the dryer.

No comments: