Friday, July 4, 2008

Day 34: How do you Rehearse for Marriage?

A bunch of us tried to go to the lake today, but we got only as far as the parking lot before being attacked by mosquitoes. We kept going - made it all the way to the beach - but it was a pretty dismal day and the mosquitoes just kept coming.

...we went into the village for ice cream instead.

Later was the rehearsal for the wedding: some setup beforehand (climbing unsteady ladders and messing around with tulle), then the practice itself... walking down the aisle, who stands where, what is said when, moving, timing... yeesh.

My idea of a small wedding: the two people getting married, the person marrying them, as many witnesses as necessary to sign the papers.

My cousin's small wedding: both sides of the family - sixty or seventy people.

Heh.

Anyway, we got through it - some problems with timing for the aisle walk, but we tried again (and again) and got it to work.

After that my family picked me up and we went into Rossland for dinner (well - I opted out of the real dinner. I... really don't like restaurants. There comes a point at which I freak out and cry, so I try to leave before that point. Consequently - I left.) and to see the Gold Fever Follies, which I haven't seen in years. The Follies are done every year in Rossland, always a different script but the same theme. They're all set in a bar in Rossland and generally involve gold, or mining (it's a mining town), or love, or... yeah. Anyway, to a ten-year-old's eyes they are the best thing ever to be seen, and to a twenty-year-old's eyes they are not quite perfect but definitely worth seeing.

Post-Follies, we went back to Granny and Grandpa's, where an enormous pile of family was congregated (how's that for mixing metaphors?). More dessert organization and chatter and so on and so forth - and so much family! - and now we are back at the hotel and I need to go to bed.

No comments: