Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Real World Again

Yesterday Tim and I were making dinner at the same time, and he asked me some questions about what I'm studying in college, why I'm in Vancouver, et cetera. Then he asked why I didn't go out with guys much. He seemed to think that it was a bit strange. I explained that I don't see much in the way of guys ever, so it feels perfectly normal to me to not be around them (in fact, it's kind of odd living in a house with two other females and three guys - soon to be one other female and four guys).

He was really surprised that anyone would choose to go to a women's college (a "single-sex institution of higher learning" - but don't worry, I didn't say that) because, as he put it, most of the girls he's met in Texas are "ho"s.

...

So after I'd finished laughing and he had apologized about four times, I explained why women's colleges are important and why I love Wellesley in particular. Believe me when I say that, when it comes to women's/civil/gay rights, I am the most educated/liberal person in my household (I have been doing my best to drop random bits of gayness into the conversation, just to see what happens. So far all that's happened is that they've changed the subject).

No comments: