Thursday, July 10, 2008

Day 40: And with Windchill, it's... Cold.

I spent most of my time at work today reading - one of the tasks on my checklist is to read a manuscript that we're planning to publish... oh, wait, I already said this somewhere. Anyway, I didn't want to vacuum, so I packaged up a book to be sent off for consideration for an award (though it won't be sent until my boss gets back). Then I read. I actually quite like this manuscript; it's good writing (some of the prose is a bit purple, but that can be sorted out) and a compelling story so far.

I left a bit early; I'd gotten there very early (since... well, we had no toilet paper in the house, so I waited to go to the public restrooms. The toilet paper situation has since been remedied.) and was antsy to leave. One of the perks of being alone in the office is that if I want to leave I can, with nobody the wiser.

...but I'm still too much of a square to do anything other than show up and do my work ::shrugs::

I had plans for the afternoon, but it was so incredibly windy that anything other than going home and putting on something warmer was out of the question. I was rather annoyed with the wind, actually, as a cute and lacy skirt does not look (or feel) so cute when the wind is giving you goosebumps and trying to shove the skirt up your thigh, so I changed into jeans and a sweater and left again.

Next year I might apply to Simon Fraser's Masters program in publishing. I haven't seen the campus yet, but I don't think a campus is so important for grad school, and they have a good reputation, and I rather think I'd like to live in Vancouver for a while... or perhaps I could apply to UBC, if they have a publishing or creative writing program. Which would be more useful in finding a job? In the real world? In a publishing house? In academia? Which would be more useful if I were trying to get something of my own published? Or maybe I should just get a job. Or stay in Boston. Or move to New York (uhh.... or not).

Aaaaahhhh. It's not even senior year yet. Is all of senior year going to be like this?

No comments: