Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 52: Copyediting and proofreading, pt. 2

Today was the second part of the SFU workshop, covering proofreading and some general stuff. Again, a good class. The professor's fantastic. However:

-When you proofread (as opposed to edit or copyedit), you don't get to fix all of the errors - only typographical errors, factual errors, et cetera. Spelling you may fix. A poorly written sentence you may not.
-I really need to learn American/Canadian punctuation (this hasn't been a problem yet - I mean, I know it well enough to be consistent - but I default to British.).
-The question of certificate course vs. Master's program is a conundrum (long story).
-I am quite good at copyediting. I am less good at proofreading. I need to work on that.
-I'm sorry that the course is over. I wish it had been longer - though had it been longer I might not have been willing/able to rationalize missing more work (would my boss mind? Probably not, since I'm an unpaid intern anyway and I'm here to learn. Would I mind? Yes, though I'll admit to having enjoyed the semi-break).

No comments: